• January 3Monday 1/16: No School (MLK Jr. Day)

• January 3Half Day for Students: Wednesday 2/8

The Myths and Rumors of Senior Year

Freisy Matias, Author

Every Junior has to anxiously await what might be the most important year of high school, their senior year. Most kids freak out due to stories they have heard about senior year. There are so many important things that happen in this year and one has to be prepared for it; if not, these will be the most stressful, hair pulling 10 months of your teenage years. Senior year is not something one will breeze through, unfortunately.

Have you ever heard of senioritis? This deadly and contagious disease is very common among seniors all around the world. Senioritis causes a student to not want to do work due to the fact that they are already seniors and the idea that the grades from your last year of high school are the least important stay present throughout the days. This hits the hardest when a senior has submitted all his/her college applications and/or has been accepted to at least one college. Although not all colleges look at your senior year transcripts, most tend to check your first marking period grades to examine your consistency and progress throughout your whole high school experience.The more expecting the college is, the more likely they are to look at your senior year grades as a deciding factor. It isn’t a smart idea to doze off senior year. Your grades still matter. If you fail a class, the chances of you graduating will decrease significantly.

The college application process can and will be a bit stressful. No one can deny that. However, if you pace yourself and set aside some time to complete each application, this process will not seem so stressful to you. Making the deadlines clear to yourself or even putting them on a calendar shows you what you have to get done first and what you have a little more time for. College entrances essays are crucial too, therefore they need enough time and concentration to come out well written and error-free.

Lets not forget the pressure that the school puts on the upperclassmen, especially seniors, to be the school’s example behavioral wise. While the freshmen and sophomores are getting out of hand, the seniors are blamed for setting a bad example for these students. Seniors are expected to behave very well considering they have been in high school for almost 4 years. In addition, the teachers except quality work from seniors. Most of them have known students for years and expect their work to be better than a junior’s or sophomore’s work. What the school is telling seniors, is that they should basically have everything down packed and be prepared and mature enough for college.

Yes, a lot of things (stressful things) go on in senior year. However, there are great exciting things to look forward to. Prom, memories for a lifetime are made. Senior ditch day, where for one last time the seniors all go out together for a memorable time outside of school. Prank day, where something crazy happens in the school and it’s thanks to the seniors! Last but not least, Graduation. The moment one has been waiting for since freshman year. Every night you stayed up and every day you woke up at 6 will be worth it when you’re walking that stage and getting your diploma!