• January 3Monday 1/16: No School (MLK Jr. Day)

• January 3Half Day for Students: Wednesday 2/8

How to Survive Your Second Semester (Or The Bad Case of Senioritis)

As the reality of summer and college grows closer and closer, students are becoming more susceptible to procrastination

Jean Puchi, Editor

Many students, especially as the school year reaches its’ climax, start to lose motivation and become prone to misplacing their responsibilities. This falls accordingly to the senior class since their minds become more intertwined with the idea of college and suffer the unofficial disease of Senioritis. It’s understandable for seniors to be distracted with college and also simultaneously trying to keep up the facade of being a responsible and forthright student. “School feels more than ever like a chore because, let’s be honest, the closer we are to freedom, the less we think about Math or English homework,” senior student, Lexy Rentas, answered when asked how senior year has impacted her. This kind of mentality is not uncommon but it could be detrimental to your GPA, because, whether a student is a senior or not, students must keep putting their best foot forward into a brighter future. So here are 3 helpful tips that can assist any student in surviving their second semester of high school.

1. Not Too Late to Start Something News

Going into the second semester of high school, students are probably used to how their school operates and this consistent mundanity is what drives students to becoming diverged from their scholarly assignments. Of course, coming to the same place everyday, doing the same old boring routine for 7-8 hours, can become tiresome but one way to battle this internal conflict is by externally manipulating the environment. Students can try something new that their school is offering; when students stay proactive and keep themselves busy in school events and clubs, they can avoid or further postpone the wavering feeling of laziness. Students can join clubs or the student council or offer their services to their peers to receive community service hours which, a reminder for some seniors and juniors, is a requirement to graduate. This method is not only effective in keeping students interests controlled appropriately but it also helps students step out of their comfort zone and make new friends.

2. Take Advantage of the Now

This tip is mainly for seniors, but underclassman can also take it into account – live in the now! For any student, after a couple of weeks, months, or even years in your school, it becomes much like an unwarranted second home. But like everyone, the child eventually needs to leave the nest. Leaving the nest, for independence, is what every senior is excited about but sometimes their minds become too fixated on the future and forget about the present and let memories-to-be pass on by. High school is four years of transitioning but also time to find yourselves and enjoy what your youth has to offer. No matter how cynical a person may be, high school is the last four years of not being an independent adult with adult responsibilities – every student should rejoice in that fact. For underclassmen, the second semester, no matter how dull, is a memory that chronicles their evolution to an adult, so once  they become aware of that notion, the second semester should be less of a formidable requirement but rather more of an opportunity to make memories with friends and teachers.

3. Try to Keep the Drama in Drama Classss

As mentioned above, your high school memories should be distinctively precious and unmarred from obstacles. Entering the second semester of high school, students should stay clear from drama that might distract them from their educational pursuits especially as a senior, since you want to leave your high school on a high note so you can reflect back on happy recollections rather than sour blurbs. Teenagers are inclined to believe high school is the whole wide world and when something goes awry, it’s impact is almost as marginal as the apocalypse. Like many things in life, high school memories have a limit, so students should not let petty fights create futile feuds, specifically between friends, because this creates irrelevant stress and decimates the joviality that the second semester can be. When students enter their second semester, they should make a “new-semester resolution” to gossip less, be more tolerant and acceptable, and, like always, focused on their school work. All high school students, especially seniors, should make this pledge because this will only improve their grades, lifestyle and mood. If attempted, a drama-less semester should further implement the well-being of a student’s goals and their endgame: college. Students should not graduate with regrets by spending their last few months of school year/high school caught up in problems that they couldn’t care less about in five years. Start the second semester with a more practical and adult approach: face-to-face discussion. In the end, high school is not middle school, and there’s nothing an adult conversation can’t fix.

Students, of all grades, need to not take for granted their second semester by procrastinating because it’s their future and even as seniors, grades represent your effort – no matter how tedious the work may be. Breath in and breath out. The days flicker by rapidly and once a student realizes how easy it is to survive a measly semester – they’re already graduating. For seniors, try to steer clear of senioritis and help anyone who’s falling victim of the pandemic because only united, do people really stand. With all of the exciting events boasting at the end of the second semester, seniors should not let the real reason they’re in school be forgotten and for students who aren’t seniors, they should keep their heads up and prioritize their goals, ethics and lifestyle since every high school student have the same ending: graduating with a cap and gown and a diploma held proudly in their hand.