• January 3Monday 1/16: No School (MLK Jr. Day)

• January 3Half Day for Students: Wednesday 2/8

2014 Student Council Elections

Jailene Paderes, Staff Writer

Student council and its members take on the responsibility of representing the whole student body.  Members of student council voice the needs, wants and concerns of the student body to the administration.Which means that they are in charge of hearing what the student body wants or what issues they may have and working with the administration and faculty to find a solution.

Many students in our school have a very deep passion about having a student council. Many students have great ideas or specific concerns and want to make sure they are being heard. As we all know Infinity Institute isn’t a “normal” high school. Most students say it isn’t really one at all.  Infinity Institute is a quite small school with 6th-12th grade classes. This is something that high schoolers aren’t so keen about. With in the mix of middle and high school students it can be hard for every student to be heard. This, again,  is where student council comes in. Student council helps get all ideas and concerns to the administration. Whether it’s the need for more activities or more organization, the student council is there to find a solution. This, of course, is the reason why each year students must run campaigns for the election, make speeches to the whole school, and be voted into office.

The student council is a government system, which include different positions. At the Infinity Institute 2014-2015 student council elections, Triston Tejada was elected President. Vice Presiden, Rafael Sanchez, will be President Tejada’s right hand man. Secretary Yohan Duverge will keeps track of the meeting logs and information. Treasurer Taylor Brooks will keep the acounting books for the student council and will be in charge of keeping student council within their budget. Historian Varun Bhandari will continue to share his photography skills. Class representatives are the voices for each specific high school grade level. The following students were elected as class representatives:9th grade, Alex Mack, 10th grade, Jasmine Alvelo, 11th grade, Brandon Ramdiyal and Michelle Perez, 12th grade, Melanie Mandru and Amen Malik. Lastly, Senior Class President Mina Morcos was voted as the “chief” of the seniors.

Mrs. Franco, the student council adviser, has announced that some of student council’s first events will include the annual Thanksgiving Food Drive and Spirit Week. “Spirit Week will run from November 17th to November 21st ending with our first ever Homecoming Dance on Friday night. Mrs. Franco went on to explain that the Pep Rally will run on Friday afternoon just like last year’s.