• January 3Monday 1/16: No School (MLK Jr. Day)

• January 3Half Day for Students: Wednesday 2/8

Barcelona’s Needed Miracle Win

Barcelona needs a miracle win in order to not be eliminated from the Champions League

Hany Fathy

On Feb 14th, Barcelona lost 4-0 to PSG in the Champions League Round of 16 first leg. This is a loss that will be very difficult to bounce back from and may lead them to their elimination.

This upcoming Wednesday, March 8th, Barcelona will face Paris Saint Germain for the second leg. This defeat was very surprising to both Barcelona and its fans. Messi, Barcelona’s star player, have been virtually unstoppable, scoring six goals in the past 4 games. The team will be looking for him to play in his best form in order to stay in the tournament.

Barcelona needs at least four goals at Camp Nou, Barcelona’s home field, to tie the match up. “It will be difficult, but I have unwavering belief that we can play a great game and get right back into contention,” Barcelona coach Luis Enrique commented on their loss.

No one has ever reversed a four goal deficit since the New Champions League format was introduced in 1992-93. The Spanish club has to do the impossible in order to move on from the round of 16.

On the other hand, PSG  is heading to Spain confident they will be able to withstand Barcelona’s pressure at Camp Nou. “It will be one hell of a game, we know that Barcelona believe in their comeback. If there is one team capable of doing this kind of thing, it’s Barcelona. But they’ll be facing PSG and it will be difficult against us,” PSG midfielder Blaise Matuidi said. PSG had made it to the quarterfinals the last four seasons, being eliminated by Barcelona in 2013 and 2015.

Other PSG players have also commented on this upcoming match. “I don’t think we have any pressure. I think all the pressure is on Barcelona,” midfielder Marco Veratti said.
Barcelona has been able to reach the quarterfinals very easily in the past years and this year could be the first time in nine seasons that they get eliminated in the Round of 16. Even though this will be very difficult for Barcelona, they have high hopes that they will be able to come back from this defeat and make it through to the quarterfinals. No one can be sure on the outcome of the match and either way it will be a match for the history books.