• January 3Monday 1/16: No School (MLK Jr. Day)

• January 3Half Day for Students: Wednesday 2/8

Travel Ban or Muslim Ban?

Donald Trump’s new travel ban is denying Muslims only from entering the U.S.

People begin to gather before a rally protesting President Donald Trump's travel ban on refugees and citizens of seven Muslim-majority nations, Sunday, Jan. 29, 2017, in Seattle. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson)

AP

AP

Ziyad Akl

Last Friday, Donald Trump banned people from seven countries, around 218 million people, from entering the United States. His executive order prohibits citizens from seven Muslim-majority countries from entering the US for at least the next four months.

Trump has signed this ban in order to keep terrorists out of the US, but in doing so, he is also denying all the refugees from entering. The refugee applications take around two years, but Trump argues that the program could still be exploited by terrorists.

Donald Trump’s actions are affecting many people in, and outside of the United States. The refugees that traveled to America for safety, no longer can, and some citizens that are in the US, can’t be sure if their families can ever have protection.

The ban exempts diplomats and members of international organizations, as well as any citizen of the minority religion in those countries. But Donald Trump can be seen as no longer against just terrorism, and now against Islam itself. By only allowing the people that are of the minority religion, in a Muslim-majority country to enter the US, then it is no longer keeping terrorists out, it is keeping just Muslims out. If a person from any one of these countries comes to the US, they will not be allowed to enter the US, except if they are not Muslim. This is because Trump’s order denies just the majority religion, and with Islam being the majority religion in these countries, he’s basically only banning the Muslims.

Another issue is that Donald Trump is now classifying just Muslims, and particularly Muslims, as terrorists. Any person from any one of these countries can be a terrorist, yet the Muslims are the only ones that aren’t allowed entry into the country. His way of keeping America safe, is keeping Muslims out, which shows the prejudice that is taking place.