• January 3Monday 1/16: No School (MLK Jr. Day)

• January 3Half Day for Students: Wednesday 2/8

No Nation Can’t Commit an Atrocity.

A synopsis of the never ending Israeli-Palestinian conflict in the Middle East.

AFP

AFP

Tejas Kapadia, Author

“Of course, I’m aware of the animosities destroying brain cells on both sides, and I know all about the obstinacy of the warring parties, their refusal to reach an agreement, their devotion to their own murderous hatred….” said Yasmina Khadra in his book called The Attack, a book that takes place within the conflict of two unnerving sides.

Both Israel and Palestine believe that they have the right to the property that they have been fighting for, land in the middle east historically known as Palestine. The conflict got so intense that the United States had to intervene, and is currently on Israel’s side of the struggle.

Honestly, this conflict muddy and not as interpretable as it was expected to be. Constantly listening to Middle Eastern friends on the bus really keeps me wonder, “Where is the good?” A long bloody conflict that started when Jews came from Nazi Germany to Palestine, thinking they were promised land, only to be faced with the arabs already inhabiting the land. After that, so much killing ensued that at one point both populations of arabs and jews were equalized.

According to ccrjustice.org, “For over the past six and one-half decades, the Israeli government and its predecessors in law – the Zionist agencies, forces, and terrorist gangs – have ruthlessly implemented a systematic and comprehensive military, political, religious, economic, and cultural campaign with the intent to destroy in substantial part the national, ethnical, racial, and different religious group (Jews versus Muslims and Christians) constituting the Palestinian people.” Not only that, but “Israeli Justice Minister Ayelet Shaked posted a statement on Facebook in June 2014 claiming that “the entire Palestinian people is the enemy” and called for the destruction of Palestine, “including its elderly and its women, its cities and its villages, its property and its infrastructure.” Her post also called for the killing of Palestinian mothers who give birth to “little snakes.””

Committing atrocities like Gaza was considered “acceptable” by the Israeli government. No type of genocide is permissible under any circumstance. But because of the Israel’s attacks on Palestinian villages and areas, their adversaries are fighting back just as hard. According to Mike Kubic in his article, The Israeli-Palestinian Conflict, “Israel has built a wall along parts of the West Bank to prevent individual Palestinians from attacking Israeli civilians and soldiers. In recent years, IDF has repeatedly cracked down on militants in the Gaza strip who were shelling Israeli towns in the Negev.”

Honestly, this whole conflict could have been resolved if the Israelis agreed to have the land split between them and the Palestinians when Britain offered them the deal. All because they believed that they deserved all of the land. Now, Israel is the dominant force and Palestinians are left to flee into their small villages and destroyed homes and defend themselves against a giant looming force.

Commenting on the Palestinian-Israeli relationship, Sari Nusseibeh, a prominent West Banker and former president of Al Quds University in Jerusalem, recently wrote:

“It is as if people on both sides decided to yield where they felt history was taking them… both sides have put on their armor, readying themselves for combat without a clear end in sight.”

Commenting on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, popular Israeli writer Amos Oz said “And in this respect, the Israeli-Palestinian conflict has been a tragedy, a clash between one very powerful, very convincing, very painful claim over this land and another no less powerful, no less convincing claim.”