• January 3Monday 1/16: No School (MLK Jr. Day)

• January 3Half Day for Students: Wednesday 2/8

You Call it Bad Memory, I Call it The Mandela Effect

The Mandela Effect Explained

Amira Saied

“Luke, I am your Father.” “Mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the fairest of them all?”

The two lines have more in common than you would think. They are both iconic lines in film history and were never said. The famous quotes from Star Wars and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs are famous examples of the Mandela Effect.

The Mandela Effect is when someone has a clear memory of something that never happened.
Although this is something that has been happening since the beginning of time, it didn’t have a name or an explanation until after December 5, 2013 when Nelson Mandela died. Thousands including Fiona Broome, the woman who named this worldwide phenomenon after the death, remembered the death during the 1980’s when he was in prison. It was on December 13, 2013 when Bloom first launched The Mandela Effect website.

Since the launch of the website, people have come forward with “new” evidence that proves the Mandela Effect such as “mirror, mirror.”

So, what is happening? Is someone tampering with history? Why do people remember something that never happened? There are two main theories according to Mandela Effect, a website created by Bloom, Broome’s alternate reality theory and Fred Alan Wolf’s time traveling theory.

Broome theory of an alternate reality ties into a parallel universe. Her theory goes like this- in a parallel universe, life is duplicated, meaning there is another earth, with another you, but with changes. At every point in life, people have a choice. No matter the choice, there is a parallel universe that chose differently. For example, in the 2016 Presidential Election, Hillary Clinton won in a different universe. In another she didn’t run, in another Barack Obama ran and won because the 22 Amendment didn’t pass and so on.

This theory explains “dual memories”, two different memories to the same story. For example, Curious George, as viewers of the show remember him, has a tail. However when watching the watch the show again or dig up an old teddy of Curious George, he doesn’t have a tail. In another universe, one you are subconsciously linked to or have been traveling to subconsciously, Curious George does have a tail, explaining “false memories.” Bloom notes that people aren’t linked to all parallel universe and that the theory is not complete, that there is still more to be discovered.

Wolf’s time traveling theory goes with the butterfly effect. The butterfly effect is a theory that means a small change ripples and has large effects.

For example, in the story, A Sound of Thunder by Ray Bradbury, the year is 2055 where time travel is a reality and Eckels, a time traveler hunter joins a hunting party to go back in time and kill a Tyrannosaurus rex. On there way there the hunting group discuss the recent presidential elections where candidate Deutscher, has been defeated by Keith. When they return back to the year 2055, Deutscher has defeated Keith, words have been spelt differently and life overall has been changed. Eckels looks down on his shoes to find a crushed butterfly.

Wolf believes that in the future, time traveling will become a reality and when traveling in time, someone one will “step on a butterfly” changing the world, hence the reason Nelson Mandela died in 2013 not the 1980’s. According to Wolf, people have been traveling in time causing changes history.