• January 3Monday 1/16: No School (MLK Jr. Day)

• January 3Half Day for Students: Wednesday 2/8

The Fate of the Furious

8 movies too many?

Each movie of the Fast and Furious franchise races to higher numbers each time with 4 consecutive hits, and on Sunday, December 11, the trailer for the eighth film was released on Facebook beginning the movie’s marketing.

The title of the eighth film will be The Fate of the Furious. The title was announced on December 9, only a few days prior to the release of the trailer.

Furious 7 was the highest grossing film from the franchise performing at $1.616 billion with a budget of $190 million. Furious 7 also marked the final appearance of actor Paul Walker as he passed in a tragic car crash during filming of Furious 7 on the crew’s Thanksgiving break.

Returning to the eighth film will be Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Dwayne Johnson, Tyrese Gibson, Chris ‘Ludacris’ Bridges, Kurt Russell, and Jason Statham. Joining the film will be Oscar winning Charlize Theron and Kristofer Hivju. Not returning is director James Wan known for directing highly rated horror films such as The Conjuring and Saw. Replacing Wan is director F. Gary Gary who directed movies such as Straight Outta Compton and The Italian Job.

The official synopsis of the film reveals the plot, “A mysterious woman seduces Dom into the world of crime he can’t seem to escape and a betrayal of those closest to him.” The trailer of the movie gave no other details away, and portrayed a different story than we have seen from the franchise before. The franchise had changed things up before, most notably in the fifth installment, Fast 5, where the movie became less revolved around street racing, focusing more on a heist.

The Fast and Furious franchise has reached a milestone of eight films, and with each film performing progressively better at the box office, can the eighth film preform just as well as Furious 7 which made over $1.5 billion?

The success of Furious 7 can be credited to the passing of Paul Walker who was a major component in the films. People might have gone out to watch the movie to see how it would handle his passing, but others can argue that the movie was genuinely a good film because it had the perfect balance of action and seriousness.