• January 3Monday 1/16: No School (MLK Jr. Day)

• January 3Half Day for Students: Wednesday 2/8

Jacqueline “Jackie” Kennedy

An Iconic First Lady

She was a perfect woman to stand by a president’s side during his term. She was a strong woman who fought through pain from trauma. She was a high spirited woman who put on a smile to make the best of any situation, and many people looked to her for a solution to any miserable moment.

Jackie Kennedy was wife to president John F. Kennedy who was assassinated on the 22nd of November 1963.

The official trailer for a film based on her life titled, Jackie, was released Monday, November 14th with Natalie Portman playing the role of Jackie. The aforementioned trailer depicts the reality of Jackie’s life instead of portraying it as an elegant painting. Jackie was a woman who drank to cope with her emotional hardships, on top of that, years of smoking caused her voice to become deeper. She was never seen smoking by the public because she made sure to carry herself as a “proper woman,” she spoke with an artificial voice so that she would appear normal.

The trailer indicates that it will show us Jackie as an actual human instead of the side of her who put on a show for the United States. The trailer gives off the strong impression of an angry, humane side of Jackie never before seen on film.

The movie Jackie was already released to critics on September 7th at the Venice Film Festival. The film will have its wide release in the U.S. on December 2. David Rooney from the Hollywood Reporter praises the film and calls it, “A shattering reflection on loss and legacy.”

In addition, David Sexton from London Evening Standard commended, “Natalie Portman is wondrously good in this part: surely her best and an Oscar contender.”

David Sexton’s comment was appropriate; Natalie Portman will be an Oscar contender indeed. The movie will give us a good look at the never before seen side of Jackie Kennedy’s life.

Natalie Portman has won an Oscar for her performance in Black Swan, and was nominated for Best Supporting Actress for her role in the film Closer.

Her performance in Jackie is already very promising as it provides us with a voice which is not hers; it is deeper, and retains the sense of becoming the haunting product of a memorable portrayal of Jackie Kennedy