• January 3Monday 1/16: No School (MLK Jr. Day)

• January 3Half Day for Students: Wednesday 2/8

How Joining Extracurricular Activities Can Help Anyone

Daniyal Chaudhry, Staff Writer

Most students believe that joining a club or after school activity won’t really help them and that they are better off just going home after school and playing games or listening to music. But they are wrong. Joining extracurricular activities can be a good thing for students. All students dream of going to the college of their dreams. Sure, they may have the grades to get in but colleges are always looking for something more. Dean of Undergraduate Admissions at Colombia University, Jessica Marinaccio, said “We don’t need to know what kind of person you are when you are applying to our college we will figure that out ourselves when we examine what you do outside of school”. Are you the kind of person who belongs at the college of your dreams?

Joining extracurricular activities help build character and prepares students for the real world. Most extracurricular acitivities that a student joins requires group effort. This group effort and teamwork skills are also necessary for real world jobs where one will have to collaborate with other people. Group activities can promote good chemistry or good sportsmanship, which are great both great attributes for a professional in any career to have. Some people are shy and have a hard time socializing with people, but an extracurricular activity can help make new friends and building the courage to socialize with people they normally wouldn’t. Plus, let’s say one lacks certain qualities. Joining a team or after school club can provide opportunities for you to build upon those weaknesses and turn them into your strengths by learning and working with others in hands on experiences. Colleges also look for students who volunteer their time and participate in activities that are not mandatory. This demonstrates a candidate’s’ willingness to spend time participating in important activities that are not part of required time.

Extracurricular activities can improve anyone’s chance of getting into certain colleges. When colleges look at applications first they look at classes and grades but then they will look at whether or not a student was involved in extracurricular activities. Colleges look for well-rounded students, when it comes to extracurricular activities its more about quality over quantity. It doesn’t matter to the application examiners the number of activities you do. They are more concerned with how meaningful the activities. For example let’s say you play on a soccer team, baseball, and basketball team but the applicant you’re competing with has only one which extracurricular, volunteering for with Habitat for Humanity and planning fundraisers at his or her school. Your opponent is more likely to get the spot because even though he or she just has one activity, it is more meaningful to the colleges compared to the sports you take part in. They look for things that require a high form of leadership, service, and effectiveness, so that’s how it would help with colleges.

So when one begins their high school career as a freshman,  they should try to browse through all the possibilities and then try to choose one or two they feel the most dedicated to. Students should consider what extracurricular activities will make you a better person, what will better your school community, and of course what interests you. By the end of freshman year it is easy for one to feel comfortable with those certain activities and prepare to take leadership roles in the years to come. As one’s high school career moves on their involvement and passion for these extracurricular activities should increase.

Now that the Infinity Institute Club Handbook has been released students should be asking questions about our school’s clubs and deciding which is the best fit for them. And don’t forget — colleges look to see that a candidate can be committed to something so once you choose a club: get active, get passionate and stick with it!