• January 3Monday 1/16: No School (MLK Jr. Day)

• January 3Half Day for Students: Wednesday 2/8

Operation Velvet

Ahmad Hamdah

February 7, Ubisoft released two new operators for the game Rainbow Six Siege in order to keep people interested in the game. The two new operators Jackal and Mira both originate from Spain and have exciting new specialties.

Jackal, whose real name is Ryad Ramirez Al-Hassar is part of the GEO organization. Jackal is a 6’3, 172 lb attacker. Jackal’s special ability is turning on a camera on top of his head and tracing footsteps of the opposite team called defenders. This ability is called Eyenox. According to Ubisoft, “Eyenox is a forensics tool that detects invisible details relating to footfall and weight distribution so that you can identify and stalk your target.” This ability changes the playing style of many defenders who move around a lot through the map. Jackal’s ability alters defenders playing style to camping in the same spot, rather than roaming the map. Another reason that makes defenders fear Jackal is that his secondary isn’t a handgun, but a shotgun. Jackal is the only operator who has a heavy primary weapon as well as a heavy secondary weapon.

Elena Maria Alvarez or Mira is the second operator released alongside Jackal. Mira is a 5’5, 132 lb defender, and part of the GEO organization. Mira brings a new special ability to defenders with her equipped unique gadget called a black mirror. A black mirror is see through on one side, but a dark tinted mirror on the other. Ubisoft states, “Mira created a specialized laminated glass, which when deployed with oxyacetylene can carve out a one-way mirror on any wall. If the air pressure is disrupted, however, the glass is ejected and creates a daring opening for both defenders and attackers. Attackers are slowed down by this because they know that they’re being watched, and the defenders know exactly where and who is breaching. The bright side for any attacker is that the mirror can’t be shot through because it’s bullet proof. Just like Jackal, Mira also has a submachine gun as a primary and a heavy shotgun as her secondary.

Both operators are set at a cost of 25,000 renown (in game money) and available to everyone. This is just the first of four updates for the year two edition of the game, so be prepared for many more exciting new operators and maps to come.