• January 3Monday 1/16: No School (MLK Jr. Day)

• January 3Half Day for Students: Wednesday 2/8

The Israeli-Palestinian Conflict: A long Stride of Threats of War and Sanctions

Joshua Michieka, Author

The Israeli – Palestinian Conflict
A Long Stride of Threats of War and Sanctions

Joshua Michieka

The Arab-Israeli conflict was described as a “sequel” to one of the world’s oldest and most unyielding contests. The Arab-Israeli could be instead described as a “prequel” to something else that could start. Whether it’s good or bad if the conflict isn’t solved something could happen drastically. A struggle over the rightful ownership of Palestine, the Middle East region between the Mediterranean Sea and the river Jordan. What at first started out as a small migration of Hebrews around 1800 BC, turned into an over population, thus causing a huge conflict of who really owns the land.

Palestine was a land of “fertile valleys, gentle mountains and exceptional beauty”, and has unfortunately been controlled by a uncontrollable and perplexed collection of conquerors. Palestine continued to fall under the control of Arab followers of the new monotheistic religion of Islam. The Muslims were defeated by the Christian Crusaders from Europe and in the 13th Century, Palestine came under the rule of Mamluk sultans of Egypt and they continued to be conquered by the Ottoman Empire who also dominated Turkey.

Something needs to be done quickly before Palestine loses their own home to an overpopulation of conquerors who are much stronger and populated than them. According to Mike Kubic, “The violence increased pressure behind the Jewish independence movement and triggered an exodus of Arab families fearing possible attacks”. While violence shouldn’t ever be the first option in making a statement, it’s very important that Palestine shouldn’t be taken advantage of.

Let’s talk about threats, specifically threats to go to war it’s mostly used as a strategy for a lot of nations to persuades others to do what benefits only themselves. John Campbell, a for United States ambassador to Nigeria stated, ”The word ‘pressure’ is very often used by the press to describe a process that is much more subtle and, in effect, represents appeals to another country’s best interests,”. This is what brings up my argument: Palestine must apply pressure to other nations in order to appeal to their best interest, and their interest is to regain control of their area.

Certain officials who seek to persuade both allies and enemies to do things their way tend to engage in a constant “juggling” or back and forth acts of lesser threats. This means that many nations that persuade one another just turns into one big jumble of chaos. This is where the word “diplomacy” comes into play. Dobbins, of Rand described diplomacy as “all about getting other governments to do what you want them to do”. That’s the whole reason to maintain a diplomatic establishment.